Monday, March 4, 2013

MVE Soup

I thought this soup might be a good idea to put up today as there has not been any mention of soups in a  while. This soup is quite rudimentary and is both inspired by and named after a good friend of mine who is a bacon lover. I very much enjoy making soups and so I thought to myself one day "I wonder if I could incorporate eggs and bacon into a soup?" So I set about to try this. The end result was tasty, but I do admit a little tweeking here and there might be needed. Eggs in soup are an interesting entity as it is  challenge, I think, to put eggs in soup. A challenge perhaps well worth taking on. I have found in various other soup manifestations that if the right amount of egg and egg cooked the right way are placed in soup it is a truly delicious addition.

So here is how I went about this soup. I wanted it to be a hearty "breakfast in a bowl." Try it for yourself and let me know.

Ingredients
liquid smoke
bacon
lentils
scrambled eggs
salt
black pepper
beef stock

How It's Done
you will see in the ingredients section that I have not provided exact measurements for this soup. That is because it is very much a preference based soup, you have to pick your own balance of items.

1.) pan fry the desired amounts of bacon and scrambled eggs.

2.) bring the beef stock to a boil then add the lentils in with some salt and pepper. Allow this to simmer for ~5 minutes and then reduce the heat to low bubble. After ~5 more minutes add your scrambled eggs and bacon with ~5 dashes of liquid smoke to impart a hickory flavour.

3.) serve hot.

This soup is an experiment. One of the key difficulties that might be dealt with is the addition of the bacon causes it to get "soggy" losing its crispy pan fried delicious taste. The bacon still tastes great, it is just softer. If you would not like this effect, you can add the pan friend bacon as a garnish when the soup is served, allowing it to maintain its crispness longer. Another variation involves pureeing the lentils to have a smooth thick soup base.

I will leave it at that for now, this soup has the potential for lots of alterations, so try one out and I hope you enjoy, as I did.


"It's not as bad as it sounds."


-quoth Huck

No comments:

Post a Comment